Hitting the shops on Black Friday has become a ritual that is as all-American as watching fireworks on the Fourth of July. And why wouldn’t it be, considering all the great deals that are out there?
Over the years, however, Black Friday has evolved. Stores that used to open at 5 a.m. now open on Thanksgiving, and Cyber Monday has entered the picture, offering bargain prices online the Monday following Black Friday. All of this means that getting the best deals now requires a bit of strategy.
At Shults Insurance Agency, we want you to get the best deals for your holiday shopping, so here are a few pointers for maximizing your experience:
- Be willing to forego the shut-eye. Since many retailers are now opening at 6pm on Thanksgiving, and often staying open all night, overnight shopping is increasingly practical. Accept that you will not get eight hours of sleep Thursday night (and remind yourself that your wallet will thank you).
- Do your research. Go online before the holiday and note who has deals on what and when. Remember to factor in your opportunities for Cyber Monday.
- Pick your favorites. You probably won’t have time or energy to go everywhere, so narrow your shopping store list down to focus only on your favorite stores or those that are offering sales on exactly what you’re looking for.
- Create an itinerary. Before you go, make a list of stores in order of priority based on times they open and items you want to snap up. Then, map it so you know your route.
- Make a budget (and stick to it). Whether you are shopping for Christmas gifts or just trying to save on some household items, be careful to avoid the unnecessary expense of impulse buys.
We wish you a very productive and enjoyable Black Friday!